Fair Trade Policy
All Terrapin Trading products are traded fairly.
We are a small company with a strong ethical policy that is based upon the belief that the best way to reduce poverty in the developing world is through trade. We are not perfect but we are honest and our aim is to improve our own goals, aspirations and achievements as we develop in tandem with our producer partners.
Mutually beneficial long term trade
We look to buy from small scale producers who use largely natural materials and traditional techniques to produce interesting and inherently beautiful articles. We believe that the best way to help disadvantaged producers is to work with them in partnership through mutually beneficial and long term trade. We have helped over 100 producers to grow and develop with us since we started trading 20 years ago.
Fair Trade Organisations
Some of our suppliers are members of the World Fair Trade Organisation (WFTO) and some are members of their appropriate National Fair Trade Organisation. Our largest suppliers in India, Vietnam, Nepal and Kenya are recognized by the WFTO or their national counterparts as Fair Trade producers. We encourage and if appropriate; help our suppliers to seek formal fair trade recognition. In Thailand, Indonesia, Guatemala, Bolivia and South Africa we deal with many very small scale artisan producers who do not wish to or do not have the ability to become recognised Fair Trade producers. We believe very strongly that these are the sort of very small scale producers who really do need our help. It is what Fair Trade should be about and we are proud to help with or without them having formal fair trade recognition.
Terrapin Trading offers microloans through the KIVA website focussing on entrepreurs (particularly women) looking for investment to start or grown their own entreprises. We focus also on those producing traditional crafts.
Why do we think it is Fair Trade?
The WFTO has 10 principles that Fair Trade organisations must follow. We follow these principles and regularly review our procedures and achievements according to these principles:-
1.Terrapin Trading seeks to work with disadvantaged and marginalised producers and to develop business with them to help them become financially stronger and more independent. We try to buy craft products that reflect the culture and tradition and that utilize the skills of the supplier. We also buy from some larger producers if we are happy that they are also adhering to the principles of Fair Trade. Many larger suppliers are able to provide better job security, facilities and benefits for their workers and many are able to support community or charitable projects.
2. We make Fair Trade Point of Sale information available for our customers.
3. We always follow Fair Trading practices. This involves paying an advance when asked for or required to allow the producer to buy raw materials and start making the order without getting into financial difficulty. We never ask for or take credit terms from any of our suppliers. When the goods are shipped, they have been paid for in full. We never make exceptions to these rules and never have. If suppliers need money early for particular reasons we will always try and help them.
4. We discuss pricing with our suppliers in an open and honest way. We seek to pay a price that fairly reflects the value of the product and the work that has gone in to create it This allows it to sell successfully and that allows the workers to earn fair wages. We do our best to ensure that wages paid are at or above local expectations and in accordance with national laws.
5. We do our utmost to ensure that no children or forced labour is involved in the production of Namaste products. We ensure that no children under the age of 16 are involved in factory based production for Terrapin Trading. Many items are produced by home workers, which provides useful additional income whilst allowing them to look after their homes and families. We make visits to our suppliers as often as is practcal.
6. Terrapin Trading suppliers commit to non-discrimination, gender equality and freedom of association.
7. Wherever possible we visit suppliers ourselves to make sure that producers have good working conditions. All suppliers were visited before we commenced our business relationship.
8. We look for long term relationships with our suppliers and provide them with designs and ideas to benefit their business and keep the orders flowing. By providing repeat orders, advance payments and by making a commitment never to cancel or unduly delay orders helps our suppliers to grow and develop capacity.
9. Terrapin Trading promotes Fair Trade through our activities and literature.
10. We are using more and more recycled or environmentally friendly materials in our products which now make up a very large percentage of our product range. Our suppliers are encouraged to respect their environment and to have written and audited environmental policies.
Returns, Refunds and Exchanges Policy
How To Return An Item
Your item must be in its original unused condition to be returned, unless there is a manufacturer defect. You must return the item within 30 days of your purchase.
Use the printed returns form that came with your package. If you have lost this please email
<href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”>email@example.com for a copy to be emailed for you to print.
Merchandise that has been worn, used, or altered will not be accepted for return or exchange.
We do not charge a restocking fee.
we accept exchanges. Please use the returns slip provided in your packet and fill in as much information as possible to enable a fast turnaround. Naturally we can only exchange where we have the item in stock.
Accepted Methods of Payment
We accept paypal. You can use paypal as a guest if you do not have an account to enable payments via all major bank and credit cards.
All orders are shipped within 3 Working days Our usual non Christmas posting days are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays but at Christmas buying period (late October to last posting day) we post daily. Orders received by noon will be posted the same day on a posting day.
We post all UK items by 1st class post and overseas items by Royal Mail Internationalunless the weight of the item is restrictive in which case it will be sent via courier. This usually only affects bulky items of items weighing more than 2kg when packed.
We use the following carriers to deliver our orders:
If a tracking # is provided by the shipping carrier, we will update your order with the tracking information.
The rate charged for the shipping of your order is based on the weight and dimensions of your products, and your location. Before the final checkout page you will be shown what the cost of shipping will be, and you will have a chance to not place your order if you decide not to.
If an item goes on back order we will ship you the part of your order that is in stock. When the item becomes available we will ship you the rest of your order. You will not be charged any additional shipping and handling for the second shipment. We will email you and offer part refund of the out of stock item.
This policy covers how we use your personal information. We take your privacy seriously and will take all measures to protect your personal information.
What Information Do We Collect?
We only collect information that we need that is related to your order. This includes your:
Paypal payment information
How Is My Information Used?
Your information is only used to fill your order and provide you with information regarding our products. We do not sell or redistribute your information to 3rd parties.
Security and Storage
Only your order data billing, shipping, and order contents data is stored on our server. This information is encrypted using a Secure Sockets Layer before it is transmitted over a web server. We do not store your Credit Card data.
Cookies and Browser Information
Cookies are small files that reside on your computer and allow us to recognize you on your next visit or store your shopping cart contents. We use them only to track this information.